Sunday, March 9, 2008

day seven

I got up early and purchased yet another pineapple. After discovering pineapples cost only 30 rupees (pretty much nothing), I've been devouring huge quantities of them. I feel unguilty. They are delicious and fun to butcher.

Aneesa left for Mumbai in the morning, so James and Adam and I caught another rickshaw. Rickshaws are definitely the worst part of India for me. They are poorly regulated, which means the khaki-attired drivers can pretty much torture you in any fashion they please. This may include egregious overcharges, getting you lost, deciding upon arrival that you suddenly must pay more money, or simply scaring the shit out of you. The autorickshaws are also open, which means you are placed in the exciting position of sucking huge amounts of exahust at pretty much all times. I'm getting to the point where I know where I'm going (mostly) and can offer directions, but they're still a nerve wracking part of daily life.

I got to work and began doing reviews - a Meatloaf CD (yes!) and a few unmemorable girl group type things. This took up most of the day. I also went back to the Chinese restaurant for lunch - what can i say, Chinese food here is pretty good.

I decided to go for a walk when I got back and wandered up the street - the neighborhood near the villa is pretty posh, and I enjoyed looking at the nicer houses and their gardens. It was around 4 and all of Bangalore was getting off work -kids in silly looking knee socks and school uniforms, IT guys talking feverishly into ear sets, guys carrying bundles of who knows what on their heads. One guy was walking down the street with a Neopolitan Mastiff, which if you were not aware are one of the ugliest, hugest dog breeds I am aware of. I guess that works if you can't invest in a security system. I wonder what the omnipresent litte pariah dogs must be thinking.

I got back to the villa and decided, rather impulsively, to get dinner out. I walked to a nice place near the villa called the Clay Pot, a Kerela restaurant. Keralan food focuses on spicy seafood curries, so I went for fish karahi. This was delicious and slightly nutty, with firm pieces of white fish interspersed with spicy chilis and green pepper and onion. The restaurant was spotlessly clean and the service polite....I'll definitely return.

We hung out at the villa that night and shared a few illicit drinks while eating really really bad Indian Assorted Chocolates.

No comments: