Friday, March 21, 2008

thursday

I was a lazy bum yesterday and thus this will be a boring post. Hopefully you shall survive.

Woke up nice and early, baffling the others with my bright eyed and bushy tailed manner after the previous night. (Being 19 rocks.) I was feeling no collateral damage from our adventures other then the discovery of various mysterious bruises all over my body. Also a knee ache. Such are the dangers of dancing.

Trucked off to work at the usual time with Aneesa and Adam - took slightly less long then usual. We had decided to meet Chris downtown at a coffee house, so we faffed around for roughly an hour due to getting there so late, then headed off to M.G Road.

Unfortunately, the 'authentic' coffee house Lonely Planet described turned out to be a piss-scented den where glowering Indian men lurked over masala dosas and endless plates of toast with scrambled eggs. We left quickly, deciding on Emgee's Restaurant (or Veggie Veggie Healthy!). This was a pleasant wood paneled space that sort of reminded me of a Denny's. The food, however, was anything but - the novel of a menu encompassed seemingly every chaat, fruit juice, and vegetarian dish known to Indian cuisine, and we agonized happily over what to choose.

Aneesa and I split the special bhel puri, a nice rendition full of finely chopped tomato and cucumber. Served with idli or tamarind sauce, this was divine. Next course was paneer chaat-something, a spicy cheese curry filled with lots of different vegetables and spices. We also tried the corn palak, essentially spicy and neon green creamed spinach with corn...looked repulsive, tasted delicious. We also tried Chris's tasty mattar paneer (cheese curry with peas) and Adam's masala dosa - big and spicy, served with coconut chutney and sambar. The only misfire was the deeply distressing custard infused fruit salad Aneesa and I ordered, but that was a minor complaint indeed. I'm definitely returning to Emgee's.

Unfortunately, it began pissing down buckets of rain by the end of our meal, which meant we got to sprint damply out to a rickshaw, huddling under the middle of the open vehicle as we sped back to work. Rain sucks.

Chris came to work with us and saw how boring our daily jobs really are, although he claimed he had a good time. Chris is an optimist, and I admire that deeply, especially since I am the kind of person who can find something unpleasant, tasteless or annoying about pretty much anything, including puppies, kittens, flowers, and sunshine. Maybe even rainbows. Whereas Chris will look at a TERRIFYING KILLER BULL and go 'Oh, how cute', while I am debating whether I should run away or not.

I don't like terrifying killer bulls at all.

We returned quite late and had dinner at the house. The others wanted to go to Mocha, but I was feeling exhausted and a bit gross, so I decided to stay behind. I had a rather blissful evening eating left over pineapple and drawing weird cartoons. Sometimes that is all you need.

No comments: